Monday, August 9, 2010

Natural of the Week



Natural of the Week


 Meet Nichole

A Mother, A Daughter, A Wife, 
A Sister and The Best Friend you could ever ask for!


1.How long have you been natural?
I will be celebrating my one year nappiversary on September 1st!


2.Did you transtion? If so how long and why?
I transitioned for TWO months! I wanted to go for at least six months but I couldnt deal with the two textures! Plus, I was ready to just do it!!



3.Did you have any support going natural? or negative experiences when going natural?

I had soo much support! Two of my biggest supporters were my mother (whos been natural my whole life) and my husband, who has questioned why I was constantly relaxing since we were dating. I had a few nay sayers, including my brother, but since its grown out (and I put him in his place)hes been cool!


4.What is your regimine?
I still struggle with creating a "concrete" regimine! Im still trying to find the right products yo use on my hair! I do wash (with a sulfate free shampoo) twice a month. I pre-poo, co-wash, deep condition, seal moisture with one of my MANY oil concoctions, and moisturize, moisturize, MOISTURIZE with shea butter!! My hair is soo dry Im afraid if I dont constantly moisturize my hair will revolt and fall out! I tell myself "hair is like a plant, it needs moisture (water) to grow", so I am religous about wetting my hair 3-4 times a week! I also henna and indigo every month or so, and do a bentonite clay treatment when I can remember!



5.What is your nightly routine?

Since my hair looks a HOT MESS if I dont retwist or rebraid EVERY night, redo whatever style I rocked that day. Im blessed to have ALL of my pillows in satin pillowcases so if I ever "misplace" on of my satin bonnets Im ok!


6.What is your go to style?
Either two-strand twistouts or braidouts. Im really loving the braidouts right now..my hair HATES wash-n-gos! :(


7. What is the best thing about being natural?
The fact that my hair doesnt look like ANYONE ELSES!! Its also WAY cheaper to care for and maintain (and yes, Im a PJ!) and lastly, I feel like for the first time in my life I can be myself! I can get my hair wet, let whomever touch it and best of all, not be locked into the weekly beautyshop oblivion!


8.What advice do you have for an aspiring natural/transitioner?
That the natural hair journey is full of peaks and valleys and you have to stick it out! Also, dont concern yourself too much with hair texture..God makes NO mistakes and your texture is your birthright so wear it PROUD and ignore all the haters!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment